When and Why do We Need Root Canal Therapy?
The tooth has mainly two parts which are the crown and the root. Root is the part below the gum line which is not visible. Root is supported by bone and sealed by strong healthy gums. Endodontic therapy or Root Canal treatment is a treatment for the infected pulp of a tooth which is intended to eliminate infection and keep the tooth healthy. Our Team will help to get rid of infected pulp give life to your tooth.
The pulp of a tooth may get infected when the tooth is decayed and the infection has spread deep till the pulp of the tooth. This gives bacteria the access to the pulp of the tooth. The pulp chamber contains blood vessels and nerve cells. Once the pulp gets infected it may have to be treated or removed to prevent the infection from spreading to the root and the supporting structure. Root canal treatment can help treat the infected tooth.
If the infection seems to be repairable the endodontist will perform partial pulpotomy procedure in order to save the natural tooth of patients. If the infection is too severe and repeated root canal treatment has failed to save the natural tooth, then surgical extraction of the tooth will be performed.
General Process of Root Canal Therapy
- Endodontists take x-rays and examine the status of the tooth and the pulp
- A treatment plan is set based on the condition of the tooth and extent of infection
- Before starting root canal treatment, local anesthesia is used to numb your tooth to make you feel comfortable when treating the infected pulp
- After the tooth is numb, the endodontist will place a small protective layer known as “dental dam” over the area to isolate the tooth and keep it clean and free from saliva during the procedure
- An opening is made in the crown by using a very small instrument to clean up the infected pulp chamber. After clean up, root canals will be filled with some biocompatible material. Later they seal the root canal and place the restoration to fill the cavity in the treated tooth for better functionality
Advantages of Root Canal:
- It is a simple procedure to save your tooth from the severe cavity
- It can save diseased tooth rather than the need for it to be extracted
- You will improve your appearance and be relieved from a toothache
- It can enhance your self-confidence and help you to maintain good oral care
We are here to help you!
We are providing root canal treatment, cosmetic dentistry , dental implant and many more dental services to correct your smile and make you more confident. Consult our dentist Dr. Nalini Jokmels at Capstone Dental Care in Yorba Linda and Placentia location.